Monday, March 9, 2009

The Housing Crisis in Simple Terms Please

After reading some blogs on the housing crisis, I still did not understand the situation completely. Many blogs either complained or praised the actions of the government but I wish they would have explained the situation in simple, elementary terms. I am not an economics major and neither is most of the country, I didn’t understand some of the technical terms the blogs threw at me.

Surprisingly I found a housing crisis blog in the Comics/Humor section of the New York Times of all places. It discussed the idea of nationalizing banks and how the government was thinking about basing its banks off the Swedish model. I just wish it explained what exactly the Swedish model was and explained plain and sweet the logistics of the crisis. Rather than simply mocking the government’s decisions, a mixture of opinion and fact would have been nice.

Another problem I noticed with these housing crisis blogs was that they were ridiculously long. Thehousingbubblebog.com gave a good analysis of the crisis filled with quotes of various people’s opinions. But the blog went on for at least five pages worth of information. I quickly lost interest when I glanced at the shrinking scroll bar.

To keep to the point: economic bloggers should make their explanations short and in simple terms so that the average population knows what the heck is going on.

Layal Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment