Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's going on in Congress Right Now?

-dara duratinsky

I believe the topic for this week was issues in Congress right now. According to huffingtonpost.com, on Thursday (tomorrow) Congress will be voting on taxing AIG bonuses. I will be the first to admit that not matter how many articles I read on the economy, AIG, bailouts, whatever, all the information is just way over my head. But, I do understand that there is anger over the AIG bailout. But I did a little research and according to an abc news blog, AIG were supposed to receive under $200 million in bonuses. Bonuses? Really? AIG was supposed to get $30 billion from the government. Bonuses are unnecessary, gaudy, and if I were in government with THIS economy, I would definitely tax the bonuses.

Okay, I wanted to put an intellectual piece in my blog about Congress right now. But I also think that this whole twitter business is hilarious! I'm a little late on the topic but, in a way twitter can be a medium, possibly a type of blog. So, here's a blog on twitter. During Obama's speech to Congress journalists were shocked to see so many politicians on their phones, twittering. Every news outlet tried to describe to their middle-age audience what twitter was. Here's a note to everyday people twittering: I really do not need to know what you're doing, the exact time you're doing it. I could care less if you just scored high points on tetris, or are painting your nails. However, I see how twitter can come in handy when it comes to politicians. tweetcongress.com is a great website to follow twitter updates from those in Congress. I find it interesting to read Chris Dodd's update about his Executive Compensation Amendment and Nancy Pelosi's update that the Chairman and CEO of AIG testified in Congress. But to Claire McCaskill: I do not care that you are making Chicken Parm tonight, or what non-fat ingredients you are using.

No comments:

Post a Comment