By Alissa Scheller
I really just don’t understand anything financial, and my microeconomics professor will probably back me up on that.
This whole housing crisis is also confusing, but I think I get the basics: people took out loans they couldn’t afford to pay back. Americans seem to like living beyond their means and faking prosperity – which is all fun until you have to pay off your debts.
This article from the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-paul/federal-efforts-to-suppor_b_170954.html) explained it all to me pretty well. The writer argues that proposals to “bail out” indebted homeowners (in the same vein as TARP, which bailed out financial institutions) is not a solution. He losses are real, and shifting them around won’t do any good.
Most of the articles and blog posts I found about the lending crisis were complicated. They had all this financial jargon and things that I just didn’t understand. I realize that the economy has a lot to do with economics, and therefore economic language is needed to describe it.
However, I strongly suspect that the average American would not understand most of the articles I read about the lending crisis. It was really hard to find anything that simply explained what was going on – most offered intricate plans to “save” the economy – as if we weren’t already past that.
So, this is what I would say to blog writers if I could: write simply, so that others may simply read. Stop it with the jargon. Some of us are just trying to pass econ so we can graduate.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment