Thursday, March 5, 2009

How the Housing Crisis Affects Immigrants

By Michelle Koyanagi

The housing crisis is a huge issue in America right now, not just because of the foreclosures, but because it includes so much more than just “housing.” The blogs I’ve seen reflect this. We cannot talk about the housing crisis without also talking about the economy, immigration, the government, the banks…etc. There are so many angles one could take with this issue. The one that comes to my mind is immigration.

It is no surprise that the housing crisis affects many immigrants in America. One of the blogs entitled, “Housing Crisis Hurts Immigrants More” (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/housing-crisis-hurts-immigrants-more/?partner=rss&emc=rss) talked about the housing situation for immigrants in New York. The blog talked about a report entitled, “Confronting the Housing Squeeze: Challenges Facing Immigrant Tenants, and What New York Can Do.” The report even accused some private equity investors of using questionable tactics to raise rents because of purchases they made in places with high immigrant populations.

I understand that business exists solely to make profits, but hearing about reports such as this one only makes me feel more shameful of American capitalism. I realize there are many more corrupt deeds that go on every day with businesses, but instead of hearing more and more about these kinds of wrongdoings, I wish there were more stories out there that talk about the good things and the good practices businesses are doing. Hearing about investors that follow the law and practice good business tactics would not generate as much “buzz” as hearing reports that have uncovered the “wrongdoings” of businesses, but it would make some Americans feel a little more hopeful about the future state of things—at least I think so.

Going back to the report, the author also talked about some tactics New York immigrants are using such as creating two family homes to deal with the housing shortage problem. Some of those tactics are illegal under the current building and zoning regulations, but the blogger did mention a proposal in the report that suggested legalizing those units that are currently illegal but safe. I completely agree with that proposal and I hope it happens. This definitely is not a solution to the housing shortage, but it just goes to show that people are doing what they can to deal with the situation and they should not be punished for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment