By Jordan Coughenour
I thought we were supposed to write on Congress, so I was going to do something about DC Voting rights, because it was the most interesting thing I could possibly think of to write about Congress. It always amazes me when TV anchors and bloggers can find something quirky and weird to write about what's happening on 'The Hill." Usually you can tell it's the result of some deep digging. Like when Fox found catfish in the stimulus package. Well- money going to a catfish farm.
My personal take on DC Voting Rights is neither shockingly exciting nor particularly valid. Even if DC did receive actual voting rights, I would most likely not be taking use of them- for two reasons. The first being, that I am registered in Colorado, and plan to keep it that way, thus avoiding my civic duty of forced jury servitude. (I don't really know if it works that way, but 30 Rock says it does, so I'll believe it) The second being that, though I am over 18 years old, a legal US resident and not currently incarcerated, I have not ever voted in an election.
30 Rock demonstrates another brilliant another brilliant way of avoiding jury duty
Voting has been built up to such a mighty expression of liberty and freedom, that do carry out the action of it without the strongest convictions in your preferences seems almost blasphemous nowadays. I mean- did Susan B and the other feminist leaders march and fight just so people like me could bubble in who they might sort of kinda think was the best candidate? I just don't really have that strong of a sway to any party or particular person in politics. When I confer my failure to vote to those around me, their reaction is frequently somewhat akin to that crazy German kid who wanted to play "Unreal Tournament."
Only, you know, with my face as the keyboard
Sometimes I just walk away from the confrontation, but other times I counter back with a witty and intellectual philosophic retort, such as, "Well, did you vote in ComicVine's poll yesterday about which race was the most superior in World of Warcraft?" or "Who did you invest your sacred democratic trust in for today's imdb poll on which Alan Moore adaption was the best?" There's more than one way to express your civic duty! Life's too short to go through it whining about the latest stimulus bill in a droning manner on your politic blog no one who doesn't go home and cry themselves to sleep every night actually reads. Put your trust in something a little more reliable than a politician- the ability of a humor to lighten a dreary time.
Which would you prefer- this video or a HuffPost article about CEO's and back taxes?
No comments:
Post a Comment