It's unbelievable. I never thought I'd be saying this. This was the first Academy Awards ceremony that I didn't watch- not one minute! This is coming from a guy who knew movies inside and out as a child. At one point, I even wanted to work in Hollywood, either writing scripts or directing pictures. I could tell you for any year who won what and for what movie. Those were my glory days in film. Now I'm caught up in professional football and couldn't be happier.
Unrelated to the projected output or any disinterest, my absence to the television coverage was due the fact that I was busy writing a paper in the library on conflicting think tanks for my public policy course. But even though my only live access to this years' Oscars came from my browser's refresh button as I typed away on the Center for American Progress and the Heritage Foundation, it seemed like I didn't miss much at all.
This is not to say the ceremony wasn't historical. It was only the second ceremony in its 81-year history to award the work and efforts of the presently deceased. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker in "The Dark Knight" was nothing short of outstanding. His creepiness and apathetic personality flawlessly embodied a character that we've seen played time and time again. My respects to Romero and Nicholson.
"Slumdog Millionaire" became the first film to win the coveted Best Picture Award using an entirely foreign cast. Though I didn't get the chance to see the film yet (kicking myself), I've only heard fantastic things about it and will be sure to see it at the earliest convenience.
But back to the negatives. I am bashing it, remember. I found a blog written by Mike Ward of Richmond.com, and I felt like the man was reading my mind. The single most prevalent point- no suspense whatsoever. The entire cache of award winners, however deserving as some were, was so predictable. No curiosity needed. When the nominations were announced last month, it was practically revealing the list of winners. Keeping it political (and P.C.) as Hollywood does, there was no doubt on the mind of any viewer that Sean Penn would walk away with Best Actor. While only Mickey Rourke could have contended (no pun intended) in "The Wrestler", this felt as if it were to spit in the faces of all those who supported Prop 8.
"Slumdog", Kate Winslet, the Clown Prince of Crime... they were all expected. Perhaps the only wild card, or at least potentially interesting decision, went to Penelope Cruz for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".
And to sound off, maybe the Academy won't pick a nymphomaniac Australian as the host next year. Wonder who that could be?...
By Justin Ellis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment