By: Kerry ROse
Valentine's Day . . .one year ago was like any other day. My boyfriend at the time went to Northern Illinois University. My Valentine’s day went from a typical day to a day of terror. I know most of you may think that we broke up; I’m not going to be an emotional girl. This day was not filled with flowers of happiness but flowers of sorrow.
“At approximately 3 p.m. Thursday, February 14, 2008, a gunman, carrying one shotgun and two handguns, opened fire in Cole Hall on the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. NIU Police officers were on the scene in less than two minutes and the gunman was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound a short time later.” In the shooting 25 people were shoot and 5 died. Daniel Parmenter 20, Catalina Garcia 20, Ryanne Mace 19, Julianna Gehant 32, and Gayle Dubowski 20 all lost their lives on a day of “love”.
This year I sat with my girls and watched a movie and drank some “soft drinks”. Many other friends of mine went out with their girlfriends and boyfriends for dinner simple things. But I could help but think about what happen last year. This day that you are supposed to show love toward family and friends could be taken away within 5-10mins. It makes me really sad that the world we live in that a gun man would come on Valentine’s Day into a classroom and unloading.
Valentine’s Day is a day to show love toward friends and family. Also it could be known as singles awareness day. Some people feel left out because they don’t have a boy or girls to celebrate it with. But then again I look at as a day where u can tell people you care about them and make them feel better about themselves. At 12 o’clock I slide high school musical Valentines under people’s doors with little notes. I hope people continue to take the day as a day of being able to tell people that you care about them.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment