Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sorry mom...

By: Kate Pinkerton

It was 8 o'clock Sunday night and I called my mom to talk about various things in life. I don't call that often, so you would think this would be a great moment in her life. All of sudden, I hear whimpering from the other side of the phone, and I immediately said, "Mom, mom...are you okay? What's wrong?" The most unexpected response came out:

"I've been waiting for the Red Carpet all week and you are talking through it! I just wanted to see all the pretty dresses and you just keep talking!"

I didn't know whether to cry or laugh.

My mom normally isn't like this. It was very odd and she normally loves talking to me since it doesn't happen very much. I guess the Oscars was just that important. For most people, if they miss the red carpet, they can TiVo or Google it later, but for my mom, who has 7 TV Channels, a phone that is still attached to a cord (in a different room from the television) and Dial-Up internet, it was her moment, and I was ruining it. I didn't know it was so important, and if I had, I certainly wouldn't have talked to her to the point of tears....oops.

As for the red carpet, there were definitely some yays and nays. I think Anne Hatheway looked like an Oscar in her simple, yet glamorous gold dress. Anjelina Jolie went simple, and then had stunning earrings, which is something I've always admired. I also didn't realize how many tattoos she has (Brad Pitt's fetish maybe?) Then there were some pretty horrendous dresses. See below. Heidi Klum and Jessica Biel, while beautiful people, did not make such great choices this year. Who wears a dress with a large flap on the front? Really? It's like a napkin tucked in for barbeque.

Popwatch said that Reese Witherspoon might have had the worst dress, but I definitely think that award goes to the scary Snow Queen of the Lion Witch and Wardrobe. Personally I liked Witherspoons dress, and thought it was really elegant. Tilda Swinton's dress, however, could maybe be separated into a shirt and skirt sold at H&M for five bucks.







All in all it was a great night. There were numerous hilarious performances, included the opening act by Hugh Jackman, the amazing musical numbers towards the end, and the ridiculous, but hilarious Pineapple Express skit. See below for video.

Ps. I still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, and probably should. Oops =/

No comments:

Post a Comment