Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Conservatism Today

Scott Martin Superstar
Conservative blogs fascinate me. Why? There’s several factors: I strive to be a moderate, and my weekly visits with the Daily Show and Maureen Dowd need to be balanced out with something; I was born in raised in a liberal family, with liberal relatives, all of whom had liberal friends (modern conservatives would call these people “elites”) so conservatives are alien to me; I get an emotional rise out of the close mindedness that is spewed across these blogs, a rise that constantly reminds me of what my values are and where I stand politically; Blogs give regular American’s a chance to voice their opinion, and then allow internet user’s to examine just how deranged some of these regular (and mind you, voting) Americans can be.
I’ve found someone who meets all the above criteria. His name is Scott Martin. He has a blog, it’s called Conservatism Today. I’m not going to get into the specifics about what he wrote this week (in a nutshell, he whined about how stupid young people are, whined about Obama and the environment, whined about Obama and the stimulus package, gushed about Reagan), and instead will focus on the man, Scott Martin.
Naturally, the blog is all about his viewpoints. But he gives it an extra, personal touch, making himself the main character in the essays (I think I can call them that) he writes regarding socialized medicine and welfare. In the former, he argues that citizens have no right using taxpayer money for hospital bills by reflecting on an uninsured visit to the emergency room. If he was able to pay for it (a poor college student at the time) then so should everyone else. In the latter, he envisions himself president, and, during his inaugural address, proposes taxing the poor at 30% in an effort to make them work harder and reach a higher bracket.
Now, Scott Martin does have a Journalism degree from Arizona State, so he has some credibility. Then again, his daughter’s middle name is Reagan.
I love weird people. It’ll be a fun two weeks.
By Chris Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment