I actually tried really hard to find something I found somewhat interested in what someone had to say about valentine’s day in their blogs, but what I keep finding is people complaining about the holiday. The number one complaint on why people don’t like Valentine’s day is because they say it is too commercialized...but there are other holidays that are just as commercialized---such as CHRISTMAS..and the complaints about disliking that holiday normally fall around the lines of “people forget the true meaning of Christmas.” In a way, can’t the same be said about Valentine’s day? So what if it is commercialized? At least it’s a great opportunity for you to spend time with those you care about. I’ve always liked the holiday..and everything associated with it—whether I am in a relationship or not. This is mainly because I’ve always viewed it in the way that is a great day to show the people in your life that you love them—whether that be your family,friends, or girlfriend/boyfriend..whomever. Perhaps I have this view because it has always been a tradition for me to send these people cards,gifts on this day, and vice versa. Obviously a majority of people disagree with me, but to each their own right One of my teachers was explaining to the class how Valentine’s day was in Korea ..and they seem to have the commercialization last long past the initial day. He said that in Korea the girls are the ones that present the chocolates and gifts to the boys basically telling them that they want to be in a relationship with them. The boys get a month to decide, and then one month after February 14th if they decided they liked the girls they let them know this day, and then they start their relationship. For the girls who get denied, and the ones who don’t express their feelings through chocolate to the boys, they wait one month after the month that the relationships start, to go out and celebrate a day of singleness. At least in American we only have one day to deal with!
by Amanda Yerby
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment