Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Oscars: Best Dressed, Best Film, Best Actor

Most of the blogs I have read have been about Oscar fashion and who was the best dressed. I cannot personally say which outfit I liked the best. Angelina Jolie looked nice in a plain dress, I liked Kate Winslet's mostly because I like her, and I didn't think Jessica Biel looked as bad as everyone said she did. The new york mag blog said Amy Adams, Freida Pinto, and Natalie Portman were the best dressed. I DEFINITELY disagree. (I know it would help to have some pictures here, but my internet is really slow making that impossible).
Slumdog Millionaire won best film and a whole slew of other awards. I think that that is great. It was a great film about people generally ignored in Hollywood. Of course this win, in my opinion does not warrant a blog. They were expected to win and that subject is so over.
Though many people might want to talk about the late Heath Ledger's Supporting Actor win, I would say that that was also expected, thus I don't want to write about it in excess. Though I will say, I think he was great in the Dark Knight, but it seems a curious win for the Academy. I will even dare to say he won because there was so much question about it. But, hey, good for him.
My favorite win of the night was Sean Penn for "Milk". First of all I was excited that he won and not Mickey Rourke. I didn't see "The Wrestler", but it would make me sick if an actor won for playing a "wrestler". I also think it was important for Sean Penn to win because of the role he played, a gay man in political office. Seeing as how now we are dealing with discrimination put into law by Prop 8, a man playing a gay character might change a few minds. Sure the film industry has always been extremely liberal, but if the regular day people see that an actor playing a gay politician won, maybe they will first see the movie if they haven't already. Then, after seeing the movie, they will change their minds about Prop 8 and hopefully gay marriage will be made legal throughout the country. (Don't you just love how I did throw in Politics in a blog about the Oscars?)

-Dara Duratinsky 

No comments:

Post a Comment