This Oscar ceremony was like many others for me: I didn't watch even though I insincerely said I would to many people (including my film professor) and would give them a "film major's" opinion. Well, I guess I came up short once again and was doing something else after watching the surprisingly humorous and attention-grabbing opener and a few acceptance speeches. Other than that, I had a fraternity meeting and had to attend.
I definitely wasn't too upset either; as from what I heard, despite the revamped Kodak theater, the special guests, the few standout acceptance speeches, it was the same routine, just with a different haircut and a few highlights. Usually the Oscars is a rather trivial affair to me, citing its highly political voting process as a major deterrent. And although the dresses are something to be beheld and the great artists in film are speaking, I have never been witness to an Oscar ceremony that could keep my attention for its entirety. Originality is besmeared by routine and artificiality in the acts and most of the evening boils down to eye-candy offset by gleaming lights and velvet.
Although I was highly skeptical of Hugh Jackman as the pick for host, the opening ceremony revealed a sense of comedic energy within him that had flares of very funny and interesting performances (see: "I didn't see 'The Reader' segment). However the designers and producers of the Oscars try to inject originality and innovation into each ceremony, they fail almost every time, especially with the past actors and actresses passing off awards. I thought rather useless and unneeded. The comic relief of what is a big performance that could easily be reduced to 30 minutes becomes pretty much essential. In this, I heard it was at its usual medium, though also stunted by its artificialilty. When you see an acceptance speech like that of Dustin Lance Black being contrasted with a simple "Domo Origoto Mr. Roboto" or Jennifer Aniston and Jack Black's horribly stilted interaction, you just kind of cringe and take it for what it is.
But I suppose that is where I stop: I refuse to watch this thing if its just a night of highs and lower lows and doesn't really do anything to change it over time. After all, I am always just a click away from finding all the winners and acceptance speeches on Youtube. So what the hell, why do people, like me, who love film as much as I, still watch garbage like this and stick it through? Probably because of the sheer fact the ceremony is a five-hour recap of their world (or a part of it) from last year. Whatever the reason, the use of the Oscars still eludes me. Perhaps I'll get it sooner or later... Perhaps.
by Alex Haines
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment