Thursday, February 12, 2009

First off, let me say, I am a Republican. I know this may sound shocking when considering the levels of dialog I’ve contributed to in class in the past- more notably and enjoyably, our (collective) advocacy of marijuana and requesting Professor Finn to go “E! True Hollywood Story” mode on the late, beloved Jerry Garcia. Nonetheless, I do support the GOP and am proud to do so.

Now that I’ve made my political affiliations and (some) viewpoints clear, I need to talk about the two dumbest donkeys in the room. Someone has to explain to me the recent, utter stupidity of Reid and Pelosi. My motivation is not because they’re Democrats (there are plenty of Republicans I wouldn’t mind seeing walk over the edge of a cliff), but rather due to such irresponsible behavior. This is something I believe everyone can agree on, no matter where you sit on the aisle.

Both the Drudge Report and the Huntington Post (I’d rather be waterboarded than read the latter) indicated their own perplexity of the situation. They highlighted a Politico story by Glenn Thrush in which the Senate Majority Leader and Speaker of the House dismissed all communication skills, ethics or common sense. Reid publicly announced an approved, completed stimulus package before Pelosi went to a meeting to discuss unresolved allocations of $21 billion. It isn’t clear which genius was responsible for the situation as both their camps deny blame.

It’s just unbelievable how in such grave economic times, caution was thrown out the door, delicacy and care was swept under the rug. The package is earmarked from head to toe with enough pork that even a secular Jew wouldn’t touch it. I just can’t put my finger on it, but (as I scratch my head) it seems like apathy, not change, has come to American politics. To be honest, I’m not sure if that’s really different anyway. Even New York City congressman Charlie Rangel, the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, went as far as to laughingly say that “[Senate Democrats] don’t know everything that’s in the bill.” That’s wonderful news Charlie… just wonderful.

As I conclude my electronic venting and wonder if change will ever come to America, I refer back to the musically enlightened. The most appropriate since its use of origin, The Who truly said it best: Meet the new boss… same as the old boss.

- Justin Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment