Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire??

By Alissa Scheller

I didn’t even watch the Oscars this year.

I didn’t see most of the films up for awards, and more importantly, I just didn’t care – I would rather get in a couple more hours of sleep than watch celebrities cry on stage. I’m kind of cynical like that.

But, for all my bitchiness and cynicism, I’ve heard the Slumdog Millionaire hype. And to be quite honest, even though I didn’t see the film, I don’t get it. I considered paying an exorbitant amount of money at a movie theater to see it, but I was put off when I read reviews.

I know I shouldn’t believe everything I read, but I’m kind of cheap and shallow and don’t want to spend money on a movie I won’t like, but I heard the characters had no depth and the analysis of the South Asia condition was lacking.

I don’t know about the Academy, but to me, that just doesn’t sound like an Oscar-worthy movie. I realize I should see movies before I criticize them, but I really just don’t have that kind of money.

I realize that it’s good that South Asia was in the spotlight of this year’s Oscars, but I agree with this blog post – I’m not so sure that a movie that oversimplifies and stereotypes the experiences of South Asian people is the best way for that to happen.

(Also, part of me really, really wanted Milk to win…)

No comments:

Post a Comment