Valentines Day in Washington, I was as much looking forward to laying a smooch on the city I've grown to love over the past six months as I was on my own (human) sweetheart. Spending the most romantic day of the year in the place, which Mark Twain called a, " grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless," in the looming presence of greater men and their marble tombs, may not appear the most passionate of notions to many, but in reading the suggestions of DC based blogs in the days leading up to V-Day showed a side of the city that may not be overly apparent to those who come and go through the seasons, and see the city as nothing more than a place of policy and law.
The Washingtonian had arguably the most inspired article, as writer Catherine Andrews wrote of the best places to "pucker up" in Capitol City. My personal favorite had to be the Alexandria waterfront
Bloggers found themselves in the at the same crossroads of revelation, and alternated between their coverage of passionate adventures, as well as special events unfolding within DC's museum community. The Smithsonian seized upon the opportunity to mark all three holidays, and to the delight of onlookers, created the much buzzed about presidential cupcake portrait. Made of around 5,600 of the treats, the exhibit was then de-installed by the sweet-toothed masses.
Before the cliched, yet always thrilling dinner and movie later on at night, on Valentines Day, I first made my own pilgramage to the Newseum's weekend festivities. My foreplay for the romantic events later on in the evening was the sensual presentation of James L. Swanson, author of New York Times bestseller "Manhunt," which details the 12 day search for John Wilkes Booth after his assassination of Lincoln. At the end of his speech, Swanson sat down in the TV/Radio gallery of the Newseum to do a book signing. By the time I got to the front of the line, I couldn't envision anything sexier than talking dirty about presidential assassinations all night long with the 50 year old author.
Do I turn you on, baby?
Before the cliched, yet always thrilling dinner and movie later on at night, on Valentines Day, I first made my own pilgramage to the Newseum's weekend festivities. My foreplay for the romantic events later on in the evening was the sensual presentation of James L. Swanson, author of New York Times bestseller "Manhunt," which details the 12 day search for John Wilkes Booth after his assassination of Lincoln. At the end of his speech, Swanson sat down in the TV/Radio gallery of the Newseum to do a book signing. By the time I got to the front of the line, I couldn't envision anything sexier than talking dirty about presidential assassinations all night long with the 50 year old author.
What can I say? I guess I have a American history fetish. Luckily, there's no better place to deal with my addiction than the city in which I'm currently living. I dare you to find a place in the District that didn't once see the footsteps of an American hero. My favorite event of the weekend however, would have to be the annual Presidents' Race at RFK Stadium, where enthusiastic mascots don the giant heads of Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson, and make a mad dash for the finish line. While this year's went without incident (relatively speaking- the whole thing could be called one), last year's tryouts saw a rather humorous wipeout on the part of ol' TJ:
Did I mention how much I love this city?
I love how by writing about what DC does to celebrate love, this was about how you love DC =) Very fun blog to read!...and awesome ending video.
ReplyDelete-Kate