Thursday, February 12, 2009

Talking about the Stimulus bill

No matter how much it sucks to hear about the fighting and arguing in Congress and from regular folks about this stimulus package, I think it is not wrong at all that this bickering is occurring.
It is unfortunate these arguments are occurring at a time when the economy is really bad, but it is not wrong.
Many of the blogs on the stimulus package I’ve read talk about the politics going on with the bill. They discuss the partisanship angle of the disagreements between the Democrats and the Republicans. They talk about the differences in what the House and Senate voted to include in the bill. They even talk about the “winners and losers” who will come out as a result of this stimulus bill.
For example, bloggers on http://powerlineblog.com, say this is a bad bill and even with the recent rebound in the public’s support, support will drop if the public does not see results.
When the Senate’s version of the stimulus package came out without the billions of dollars for education funding that the House’s version had, bloggers wrote about that. Even funding towards scientific research at the National Institute of Health (NIH) was being questioned.
Overall, this stimulus package is simply too big to not argue about it. There is too much at stake to not question every detail that is going into this bill (no matter how much I dread hearing about another constituent calling in to voice his or her opinion at at my congresswoman’s office).
It would be wishful thinking to think that these things would not occur.

-Michelle Koyanagi
(I'm sorry this is late. I kept getting an error post when I tried posting it at home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment