I have never been a fan of Valentine’s Day and I don’t ever expect that to change. Even now, currently engaged in a healthy relationship that has spanned over the past two years, my disdain for the Hallmark holiday is equally as strong as it was in the fifth grade- a moment of time in which it seemed that the affection and care by a member of the opposite sex was limited to the sphere of my immediate family. And so while my circumstances have changed, my feelings remain the same. I’m not familiar with the origins and rise of this popular occasion, nor do I have the inclination or care to alter my ignorance. I have more pressing topics of interest to surf on wikipedia.
I’m not comfortable with the idea of forming a day in which society conforms and recognizes something so artificial- not love, but forcing people to feel as if they need to have intimate love in order to maintain normalcy. The whole damn thing is just polarizing, emotionally and commercially pressing individuals to break off in to haves and have-nots, encouraging behavior outside of their own status quo. We have plenty of that already.
While my feelings on this matter are quite clear, I don’t tend to think about this subject all too often. Granted, this “holiday” is once-a-year, but there have been times in which the only reason I knew it was going on was due to receiving a nice, little “I love you” card from my grandparents. And while I appreciate their love and thoughts, such a gesture would be perfectly appropriate and appreciated on any other of the 364 days of the year.
And because of that, I’m not going to encourage these thoughts anymore, these lines of obnoxious dialog that deal with something that truthfully remains ultimately insignificant. I’m just going to do what I normally do when something minor is bothersome- ignore it.
- Justin Ellis
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment